PODs – Virginia Print on Demand Temporary Tag Service
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What do I need to get started?
You most likely already have everything you need. All you need is a computer, printer, and Internet connectivity.
There are two options for printing temporary tags. If you have a laser printer that uses toner, you may use the new durable paper tag stock provided by DMV or if you have an inkjet printer, you may use plain white office paper. For plain paper tags, you will need "Tag Bags", clear plastic adhesive backed weather proof sleeves that house the printed plain paper tags and mount to the vehicle. Tag Bags and the new durable tag stock are available free from the DMV. An initial supply will be shipped automatically when you register for PODs.
The Tag Bags may be ordered using the "Dealer Request for DMV Forms", DSD 36 (pdf). The Tag Bags have been well tested in all weather conditions for durations up to 100 days. That’s over three times longer than the average temp tag is valid. They’ve even been tested in car washes. In fact, similar bags have already been used successfully in several severe climate states including Montana, Texas and Arizona.
To order the new durable paper tag stock, please contact VA DMV Dealer Services at (804) 367-1474.
- Please select the “Register” icon located on the PODs home page, and you will be prompted step-by-step to enter your dealer number, and create an account with a user login and password. You must have a dealer number to register.
- At the end of the online registration process, please make sure to complete the Certification of Receipt of Information Security Policy by DMV Contractors (pdf) and fax this form to (866) 416-3972 for DMV approval.
- Once DMV approves via email (please allow 1-2 business days), you will then be able to Log In, set up your three (3) security questions and select a billing option. You are now ready to begin issuing tags online!
- Before issuing tags or installing temporary tags, we recommend that you watch our training Demos.
What is the cost?
As of July 1, 2012, the new statutory fee for temporary vehicle tags is $3.00 per set of original issue tags or extended tags. Reprints are free. Branded tags are $5.00 per set.
What about fraud, won't these temp tags make it easy?
On the contrary, real time data available to law enforcement make these tags more secure. Each unique tag number is associated with the customer and vehicle. Due to increased legibility and the larger tag numbers, law enforcement officers can check and verify the tags in minutes from the safety of their vehicles. Print on demand temporary tags have been approved by both the Virginia State Police and the Virginia Sheriffs' Association.
To log in and issue tags:
- Go to: www.pods.vi.virginia.gov
- Click “Login”
- Enter your user login
- Enter your password (Remember! Your password must contain an uppercase character, lowercase character, number and special character)
- Once you have successfully logged in, please select Issue Tag from the PODs home page.